Wisconsin GI Bill Tuition Remission Program

The WI GI Bill® provides program and material fee remission (forgiveness) for eligible veterans and eligible dependents of veterans who were killed or became disabled in line of duty.

What It Covers - The WI GI Bill does not waive 100% of tuition and fees. It only waives State-set program, material, and online fees. The student is responsible for paying the uncovered portion, including academic achievement fee, supplemental fee, uniform fee, textbook, etc.

Funding Limit - Funding is limited to eight full-time semesters or 128 credits.

Application Process

Information on eligibility requirements and applying for WI GI Bill remission may be found on the Wisconsin GI Bill website. You can also obtain the packet at the Madison College Enrollment Center. If you need assistance when applying, you can also get help at the county Veterans Service office.

To establish WI GI Bill remission at Madison College, you must complete the following steps.

  1. Apply for Benefits

    Complete the Wisconsin GI Bill Application (WDVA 2029 Form) and submit it to Madison College within 14 days of the beginning of the semester, or June 1 for the summer semester. Be sure to follow the Completion Checklist on the form closely, as it requires you to submit additional documentation along with the form. You only need to complete the form once while you attend Madison College.  

  2. Apply for Benefits with WDVA

    Complete the Request for Certification - WDVA 2030 Form and submit it to the WDVA. The WDVA will forward a copy to Madison College once your application is processed. Follow the instructions on the form closely, as it requires you to submit additional documentation along with it. You only need to complete the form once while you attend Madison College. 

  3. Register for Classes

    In order to be eligible for veteran’s benefits you must be registered for degree credit classes. Any classes that are already being covered by another party will not be eligible for WI GI Bill tuition remission. In addition, military services members may request a Priority Enrollment Date

  4. Madison College School Certifying Officials Review Eligibility

    Eligibility for the WI GI Bill is a two-part process. WDVA certifies whether the veteran is eligible (a three- to four-week process) and Madison College determines whether the student (veteran, spouse or child) is eligible for tuition remission based on state law and reviews class eligibility. 

  5. Madison College Receives Payment

    The Student Financials Office applies the funding to your account after all of the items above are completed. The earliest funding will start disbursing is after the Pell Recalculation Date. You can review your Account Activity in myMadisonCollege and it will show when the funding is applied to the account. 

  6. Maintain Eligibility

    You must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher in order to maintain eligibility for this benefit. Previous cumulative GPAs on file will be reviewed prior to processing your WI GI Bill remission. If you have a cumulative GPA that falls below 2.0 at the end of the term, you will no longer be able to use WI GI Bill remission until you have brought your GPA back up to the required level. 

    Additionally, the WDVA requires that students who have a break in enrollment (not including the Summer semester) reapply for the WI GI Bill with their school. Madison College requires that any student who takes a Spring or Fall semester break, will need to submit an updated copy of the WDVA form 2029.

  7. Forms List Summary

    Wisconsin GI Bill (Veterans):

    Wisconsin GI Bill (Spouses/Dependents):

    • WDVA Form 2029
    • Dependent of Veteran: birth certificate
    • Spouse/stepchild of Veteran: marriage certificate indicating relationship to the Veteran
    • Proof of Residency – there are two options for submitting Proof of Residency
      • Home of Record: Spouses and Children of veterans may qualify for WI GI Bill remissions if they are Wisconsin residents and they are the surviving spouse, spouse or child of an eligible Wisconsin veteran with a Home of Record of Wisconsin. Spouses and children of veterans must submit proof of residency to Madison College when applying for the WI GI Bill. (A veteran qualifies for the WI GI Bill through HOR)
        • In this case, a copy of driver’s license, tax documents, etc. must be submitted
      • Five-year Residency: They also must have lived in the state for at least five consecutive years immediately prior to enrollment if the veteran through whom they qualify was not a Wisconsin resident when they entered military service. Spouses and children seeking to use WI GI Bill based on 5-year residency. (A veteran qualifies for the WI GI Bill under the 5-year residency requirement)
        • In this case, the spouse or dependent must submit a notarized affidavit form available from the college they want to attend to verify that they meet the residency requirement. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.