We are committed to providing a safe and confidential space for you to voice concerns and complaints. If you encounter a problem on campus or feel you have been treated unfairly, first try to resolve the issue informally with the individual(s) directly involved. Many issues can be resolved by meeting with the other person and calmly and honestly communicating the concern.

If you are not satisfied after working informally to resolve the concern, you can file a formal complaint with the Dean of Students Office.

While the Dean of Students Office assists with personal concerns, all academic and classroom related concerns are resolved by the dean of the associated school or program. Common issues include classroom concerns, program requirements, grade disputes, and more. 

Report a Concern 

How to File a Formal Complaint

Step 1: Submit a formal complaint by reporting a concern or complaint.

Step 2: Review of Concern.

Once the form is received, the Dean of Students will review the concern and may take any number of actions. These include but are not limited to contacting others for more information, requesting more information from you (required to be provided within 7 days), or meeting jointly or separately with individuals involved.

If the complaint reveals employee performance concerns, it will be referred to that employee’s supervisor. You may be contacted during that investigation.

Step 3: Outcome.

Every attempt is made to resolve all concerns and complaints within 14 calendar days of the form submission. However, if your concern is related to a Dispute of Charge or Refund Request, please allow up to 60 calendar days to receive an outcome. A record of all concerns and outcomes will be documented and filed in the Dean of Students Office.

This process does not replace other college procedures such as Academic Integrity, Grade Dispute, and Title IX listed below.

Complaint Appeals Process

The right to appeal is limited to significant procedural lapses or the appearance of substantive new evidence not available at the time of the original decision. Note that deliberate omission of information by the appealing party in the original investigation is not grounds for appeal.

  • Submit an appeal in writing no later than five (5) business days after initial outcome notification. The request should be addressed to the appropriate Vice President or the Provost at Madison College.
  • You are welcome to consult with Conflict Management Services about the appeals process, including assistance with identifying the appropriate administrator to review the appeal.
  • You will receive an official response to your appeal from the appropriate administrator within thirty (30) business days of the filing.

Students have the right to file a complaint with the Wisconsin Technical College System.

Students enrolled in an online distance education program conducted across state lines may file a complaint with the Distance Learning Authorization Board.

Related Resources