Tuition is defined as program and material fees charged for a class. Other fees, such as parking, supplemental fees and other class fees, are often rolled into total tuition costs.

You may have to pay other costs including books, equipment, field trips, uniforms, graduation and sales tax. Your total cost is impacted by the number of credits you enroll in, the type of classes you take, and your residency status.

Tuition Rates

2022-23 Tuition for In-State Residents
$143.45 per credit for associate degree, technical diploma, certificate and non-degree vocational courses
$188.90 per credit for college transfer (Liberal Arts Transfer) courses
$400.00 per credit for community service enrichment courses, $320.00 per credit for persons 60 years old and older.

2022-23 Tuition for Non-Residents
$215.18 per credit for associate degree, technical diploma, certificate and non-degree vocational courses
$283.35 per credit for college transfer (Liberal Arts transfer) courses

Supplemental Fees (Same for In-State Residents and Non-Residents)
$9.19 per credit - Madison campuses for all Postsecondary & Vocational Adult credit courses 
$11.24 per credit - Madison campuses or online liberal arts transfer classes
$2.25 per credit - Regional campus supplemental fee for fall and spring semesters only
$7.00 per credit - Textbook rental fee

Academic Achievement Fees (Same for In-State Residents and Non-Residents)
$1.43 per credit for associate degree, technical diploma, certificate and non-degree courses
$1.89 per credit for college transfer courses

Other Fees (Same for In-State Residents and Non-Residents)
$27.00 flat fee for commuter services for fall and spring; $5.09 for summer

Continuing Education Courses - Taught to business and other professionals, these courses are offered under a different cost structure.

Tuition and Fee Descriptions

Tuition (Program and material fees): Resident and non-resident tuition rates are established annually by the Wisconsin Technical College System according to Wisconsin state statutes.

Non-Resident Tuition: Required for out-of-state students and international students. Due to a reciprocity agreement, Minnesota residents pay in-state tuition. In all cases, you are responsible for proving your residency status

Supplemental Fee, Madison or Regional Campus: Supports co-curricular activities and programming including student newspapers, athletics, performing arts, Student Senate, leadership programs, clubs and organizations, the Programs and Activities Council, the Student Life Office and provides access to the Madison College Fitness Center and student health services and programs. Regional campus rate difference is due to varying levels of service.

Academic Achievement Fee: Charged only for degree credit classes at any campus. Fees provide personnel and resources (online and in-person) for tutoring, information literacy, Writing Center services and more.  

Commuter Services Fee: Charged when taking at least one degree credit at any Madison campus, this fee covers a variety of transportation services (parking permit, bus pass, etc.) Learn more about these options

Textbook Rental: To save costs, most class materials are covered in the textbook rental program.

Fee Exemption

There are two types of fee exemptions at Madison College.

1. Degree Classes. You do not have to pay the program fee portion of a class if you:

  • Reach your 60th birthday by the start of the class.
  • Request to audit a college parallel, associate degree or technical diploma course at the time of registration.
  • Meet all course requirements.

You are still responsible for material and any other associated fees. Contact Enrollment Services at or 608.246.6210 for details.

2. Continuing Education Classes. You may qualify for a variety of tuition exemptions for Continuing Education classes based on:

  • Your age. For some classes, the minimum age is 60; for others it is 62.
  • The type of class you register for. The associated fees and possible exemptions vary significantly with the kind of class you register for.

You can contact Continuing Education at 608.258.2301 ext. 2 for specific class details.

1098-T Info

A 1098-T form is a statement of your tuition or educational expenses. You may submit your 1098-T each calendar year to the IRS to claim educational credit when you file your taxes. To access the document, do the following:

  1. Log into myMadisonCollege
  2. Click the "My Finances" tile.
  3. Select "1098-T Tax Form" from the left navigation menu.
  4. Grant permission to view your 1098-T online by clicking on the "Grant Consent" button.
  5. Carefully read the 1098-T consent agreement and select the check box that yes, you have read the agreement and then click "Submit."
  6. Next, click on the "View 1098-T Selection" button.
  7. Review any 1098-T information carefully.

The IRS requires us to have your Social Security number (SSN) to issue your 1098-T. We can also use your individual tax identification number (ITIN).

If you need to provide us with your SSN or ITIN, complete and submit a W-9 Form. You can bring the form and a photo ID to one of our campuses, or you can mail the information to the Truax Enrollment Center.

Pay Your Tuition

Learn about the methods to make a payment on your Madison College student account balance.

Pay Tuition

Tuition Refunds

Learn about eligibility and drop dates for receiving tuition refunds.

Get Refund Details

Use the Net Price Calculator

Grants and scholarships can lower your cost to attend Madison College. Use our trusty net price calculator to estimate how much you can expect to pay for tuition.

See Your Estimated Cost

Find Cost by Program

Get cost information unique to each program, such as number of credits, tuition, material costs, supplemental costs and other costs as needed for your success in your program.

View Program Costs

image of a laptop and coffee mug