If you are a student who is looking to drop, withdraw, or stop attending a class or more, the very first thing you should do is to contact the Financial Aid Office and your Academic Advisor before acting.

Please note that dropping or withdrawing from classes can have an impact on your financial aid eligibility for Satisfactory Academic Progress and degree completion.

Get Advice on Academic Progress

To prevent poor Satisfactory Academic Progress and attendance, please reach out to your Academic Advisor for accommodations and advice to help you get back on track.

Eligibility Criteria for Financial Aid

Students who want to continue receiving any financial aid as scheduled and awarded are required to achieve the following:

If you do not meet the required Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, this can resort in your financial aid awards being canceled.

Financial Aid Returns from Withdrawing from Classes

The amount of financial aid that you earned is determined by comparing the number of calendar days that you attended the class (determined by the date you withdraw, drop, or stop attending) against the number of calendar days for the entire class length. Calculations are based on each student's individual class schedule. If the percentage of days completed is less than 60%, some or all the financial aid you received may have to be paid back.

The following funds may be affected when you drop, withdraw, stop, or never attend your classes:

  • Direct Unsubsidized and Subsidized Loans
  • Direct Parent PLUS Loans
  • Pell Grants
  • SEOG Grants

Read on for more reasons for recalculation and how to properly drop or withdraw classes.

Reasons for Recalculation

The U.S. Department of Education provides financial aid funding with the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which they received financial aid. If a student withdraws, stops attending, or never begins attendance, the Financial Aid Office is required to review and recalculate how much financial aid was earned.

If recalculation is required for any of your financial aid, you may owe Madison College part or all your financial aid back for the semester you are currently enrolled in. This can result in a bill on your myMadisonCollege account.

A hold will be placed on your account if you received a financial aid disbursement for the semester and Madison College will be required to recalculate your financial aid.

This hold will prevent you from accessing certain services until the recalculation is complete. This process may take up to 30 days from when the hold is placed on your account. Once the process has been completed, you will receive a letter from Madison College that explains the calculation and the outcome.

A Return of Title IV calculation must be performed for any of your classes that you:

  • Have officially withdrawn from
  • Dropped within the refund period
  • Stopped attending and were unofficially withdrawn (grade of F with the date of last attendance)
  • You have never attended

If you are struggling to attend class, but completing at least one class in the semester, be sure to understand your enrollment status and how this situation can impact your financial aid.

How to Drop or Withdraw from Classes

Follow the steps below to properly drop and withdraw from your classes.

  1. Reach out to the Financial Aid Office and your Academic Advisor before dropping or withdrawing from the class.
  2. Discuss with your Academic Advisor available options such as tutoring services to avoid dropping and incurring costs. I would suggest keeping this as only Academic Advisors since FA advisors should not be discussing things outside of our expertise and purview.
  3. If you do continue to drop or withdraw from classes, you can do so in myMadisonCollege. A hold will be placed on your account for up to 30 days while Madison College recalculates your financial aid awards.
  4. Watch for a letter and email with the outcome, and notification if a bill is due in myMadisonCollege
  5. To better understand any bills that appear on your myMadisonCollege account and what your recalculation means, reach out to Financial Aid.
  6. For assistance on recalculation, your Academic Advisor is here to help. They can discuss all options available to you regarding your classes so that you may not need to drop or withdraw.

Dropping All Classes

Ultimately, if you do decide to withdraw from all your classes, you can do so by dropping all courses through your myMadisonCollege portal or by contacting Enrollment Services at enrollmentservices@madisoncollege.edu or 608.246.6210. The appropriate offices will then be notified regarding the Return of Financial Aid calculation and Satisfactory Academic Progress. You will be notified of your bill once it appears in your myMadisonCollege account, reflecting any changes to your status.

Outcomes After Financial Aid Disbursed

Outcome 1

If it was determined that any financial aid was not earned, Madison College will return that amount to the applicable Federal Aid program. If you owe a balance due to the returned funds, the hold will remain on your account until this balance is paid in full.

Outcome 2

If it was determined that all financial aid was earned, the hold will be removed from your account and no further action is necessary.

Before Financial Aid Disburses

If you have completely withdrawn, dropped, or stopped attending classes before you received financial aid, the Financial Aid Office must determine if you were eligible to receive any funding and the amount (if applicable). This is known as a Post-Withdrawal disbursement.

Pell Requirements and Recalculation

Need to check the requirements for Pell Grant?

View Pell Grant Requirements