After filling out your FAFSA form, there is a chance that you may be selected to verify your aid.
Don’t panic! You’re not being accused of filling out wrong information on your FAFSA when you receive this message.
It may even just be a case that you didn’t use the Internal Revenue Service Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to fill out the form, or you used the tool on an amended tax return.
If you were selected to verify your aid, you will have to complete the verification process.
To streamline this part of filling out your FAFSA form, we have provided the expectations of the process and additional documentation you may be requested to provide to complete verification to make this go as smoothly as possible.
Verifying Your Financial Aid
- Please check your email inbox, Spam, or Junk folders for any notifications that may indicate that you’ve been selected to verify your aid. Additional information can be found in your myMadisonCollege student portal in both the Message Center as well as your To Do List.
- In the email, take note of any next steps as needed, and follow the steps outlined in their message to you.
- Set up your Verify My FAFSA account or log in if you are a returning user.
- Submit the required documentation and answer all questions presented.
- Wait 2-3 weeks for review and processing.
- Check your email for the next steps from the Financial Aid Office. If we require additional or different documentation, the Financial Aid Office will contact you via your student@madisoncollege email address.
While verifying your aid, you may be required to submit an IRS tax transcript or a signed copy of your income tax return as part of the verification process.
You can find a copy of your income tax return transcript via the IRS Get Transcript Service.