Alternative Breaks or service trips are perfect ways to earn lifelong learning experiences that go beyond the classroom.
The more exciting the experience, the more preparation it requires!
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
Kanab, Utah | March 12-18, 2023
We're looking for 10 student volunteers and 1 student leader. Participants will be selected based on their application and a group interview. To be considered:
- Fill out the online application.
- Pay a $250 deposit
- Due (along with the application) by January 25, 2023.
- Cash or Check may be sent to the Student Life office. See the contact information below.
- Make checks payable to Madison College with Alternative Breaks on the note line.
- Deposits are non-refundable if you are selected to participate.
- Attend Group Interview on February 1, 2023 from 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Trip Preparation Checklist
If you're interested in participating in this program, review this list and be prepared.
- Attend the scheduled service trip orientation session. Dates and times vary each semester. Contact the Volunteer Center to ensure your attendance.
- Get your finances together to cover trip costs. We recommend leaving room in your budget for entertainment and individual purchases.
- Learn about the community in which you will be doing service. Is it urban or rural? Introduce yourself to people living in the area. What are their needs? Consider what clothes to bring and look into weather conditions.
- Learn about the lodging location. Will you be sharing a hostel, or will you need to bring a tent to a campground? Will this be a separate or shared hotel or bunkhouse? Will these accommodations be set for you, or will you need to follow up with them on the day of arrival and when you plan on leaving? What services and opportunities are part of that location, such as bus fare or other travel accommodations if needed?
- Learn about the service work you will be performing on your upcoming trip. Take the initiative to learn skills and be physically prepared for the service work you will be performing. Arrange to do similar service work locally to practice your skills.
- Prepare to pack light and pack ONLY the essentials.