Application Process for Federal Veterans Benefits

Madison College is authorized to provide the following federal educational benefits to veterans who need financial assistance to enroll in a program



Reserve and National Guard

Application Process

To apply for Federal Veterans Education Benefits, follow the process below. Applicants are required to submit military documentation.

  1. Apply for Benefits

    Apply online at and use the find your education benefits or visit the County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) for in-person help.  

  2. Apply for Admission

    Submit a program application if you are not already admitted into an eligible program of study. Only classes required for graduation from an eligible program of study can be certified.  

  3. Submit Supporting Documentation

    Submit the Madison College VA Enrollment form (PDF, 112 KB). This form must be on file to allow Madison College to certify federal veteran educational benefits.

  4. Register for Classes
    • Certification of Eligibility - After you have completed the application for Federal VA Educational Benefits, you will be sent a Certificate of Eligibility indicating your eligibility and entitlement. You must submit a copy of this COE. You may also turn in a screen shot of your eBenefits if you have already established your eligibility and cannot find your COE.
    • Transcripts - If you are receiving Federal GI Bill benefits, you are required by the VA to submit both military and prior official college transcripts
    • DD214 - If you are receiving Federal VA Education benefits under your military service, you must submit a copy of member copy 4 of your DD214.
    • All documentation must be submitted to the Madison College Enrollment Center via mail, fax, or in person.
  5. Complete an Enrollment Form

    Before you can receive veterans benefits, you must be registered for classes. In addition, military services members may request a Priority Registration Date

  6. Eligibility under review

    Once the Madison College Veterans Educational Benefits Office receives all of your documentation, your enrollment will be reviewed to determine if your classes are needed based on the curriculum of your program of study. Classes that are required to graduate from the program will be certified with the VA. This information will then be sent to the Federal VA, which will review the claim and determine your eligibility. If the Federal VA determines you are eligible, they will authorize payment of benefits. You may need to verify your enrollment on a monthly basis in order to receive funds.  

  7. Verify Enrollment

    If you are receiving any of the following benefits, you must verify your enrollment each month by calling 1-877-823-2378 or by going online to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE). 

    • Chapter 30 
    • Chapter 1606
    • Chapter 35 (depending on your program) 
  8. Receive Payment

    When to expect payment depends entirely on the VA. Typically, if this is the first time you are going to use Federal Education benefits it will take longer (approximately 4 weeks after the start of classes). If you have previously used Federal Education Benefits, this process is normally faster and can happen as soon as 2 weeks after the start of classes. The Federal VA processes claims in the order they are received, which makes enrolling in your classes as soon as possible extremely important. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.